Friday, May 10, 2013

Zucchini Paleo Pancakes (made with coconut flour)



I grew up on zucchini pancakes. As a child, my grandmother was constantly trying to get me to eat foods out of her garden. I didn't appreciate it then half as much as I do now. Although she's had a hard time adjusting the the fact that she can't make her old recipes that include wheat flour for me now, I know she would be proud of these zucchini paleo pancakes.
Kudos to the blogger over at Nourishing Days, her recipe is divine. I put my own spin on it and added a zucchini. Amazing. Especially for being grain-free.

Ingredients:

4 room temperature eggs
1 cup coconut milk
2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup coconut flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
Coconut oil or butter for frying
1 medium zucchini, grated (translates to about a cup to cup and a half of shredded zucchini)

Honey or fruit for topping

Directions:

In a medium bowl beat eggs until frothy. I know this goes against everything you may have learned about making traditional wheat pancakes, but trust me.  Add vanilla, and milk. Mix well. Then add the flour, salt, and baking soda. Let the batter sit quietly for about five minutes. Then mix in the shredded zucchini. Meanwhile, heat a frying pan over medium heat with a generous amount of coconut oil, or fat of your choice. When the oil is hot spoon on batter and flatten out slightly. When the pancake starts to bubble and the edges start to look solid, flip. It takes about 3 minutes each side depending on how hot the pan is.
Eat them while they are still hot with a drizzle of sweet honey.

No comments:

Post a Comment