Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Coconut Milk (SCD) From Shredded Coconut -Vitamix


I don't know why for so long I have been afraid to make my own coconut milk. It intimidated me. But now that I have tried it, I will make it a staple. In fact, I just ordered a 5 pound bag of unsweetened shredded coconut to last me for a while. Other than the obvious reason of being on SCD/paleo and making just about everything from scratch, homemade coconut milk really is a better alternative to store bought, which always has some kind of additive to keep it from naturally separating. If you are looking for a way to make your own coconut milk here is how:


You need:

7/8 Cup of unsweetened shredded coconut flakes
2 cups water

Put it into Vitamix blender and leave on high for 2 minutes. Then just pour the milk through a cheese cloth and squeeze all the milk out into a jar. Then put the pulp back into the Vitamix, add another cup of water and blend for another 2 minutes. Repeat straining through the cheesecloth and ta-daa- homemade coconut milk! Yumm, it'a almost worth the effort just for the fragrance of warm, soft coconut milk that floats around the room.

Here is a link to a YouTube video if you would like to see this in action.



Oh & btw, the leftover coconut powder can be used in recipes as coconut flour, there is no waste in this recipe!



Get free ground shipping on any Vitamix machine with my code/link: 06-006499 at Vitamix.com

2 comments:

  1. This sounds wonderful!!! I can't wait to try it. Thanks for posting this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this! My husband is on the SCD diet. I'll definitely be working this coconut milk into a recipe. Enjoyed your blog =)

    ReplyDelete