Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Homemade Ginger Ale (SCD)



Quick- what is the perfect drink if you are sick with an upset stomach? I don't know what you were thinking but since I was a kid I was always given ginger ale. Well, obviously that is not SCD friendly. However, homemade ginger ale is easy to make and is calming to upset tummys. When my stomach was killing me the other day my lovely husband was nice enough to make this ginger ale for me. About five minutes after drinking the first spicy sip, my stomach started to calm down. Wonderful. Warning: this is not your typical corn-syrup infused Canada Dry ginger ale, the taste is only slightly reminiscent of that. This is real ginger ale, and it has a kick!
 There aren't many ingredients needed, just some ginger, sparkling water (seltzer or natural), and honey.

Boil 1/2 cup of peeled, sliced ginger root in 2 cups of water for 5 minutes.
Let the Mixture sit for 20 minutes more.

Then strain out the ginger, keeping the ginger water in a separate container. Mix 50/50 with seltzer or naturally sparkling water like Perrier. Add honey to taste. Voila, it's that easy.

I really think it tastes better cold, but you could easily drink it warm, say if you wanted it to sooth a sore throat. I have gotten significantly less sick since starting SCD but I still catch little 24 hour bugs once in a while, or who knows, it may be a Crohn's flare but it's so minimal I write it off as something else. Either way, I hope this ginger ale can help you out as I swear, it made me feel better immediately.

2 comments:

  1. I'm looking forward to trying this. I miss ginger ale as a beverage, and I own a soda siphon, so im thinking I could just make up a batch of syrup. Then, whenever I get the yen, whip up a glass! Even better, I could add a splash of good bourbon for special occasions!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, ya if you can make your own carbonated water then that's gold! yumm, burbon is a good idea, thanks

      Delete