Thursday, June 20, 2013

Apple Cider Spice Butternut Squash Soup Recipe Review (scd, paleo)


How can you not be intrigued by the title alone? I don't care what season it is, apple cider is always a good idea. Especially if it's hard, but that's another post entirely. Though I have love for apple cider, I especially looked forward to trying this recipe because it's a one dish meal- as that's what PaleoPot specializes in. Finally, other people who despise doing dishes as much as I do! Anyways, this soup quickly became a favorite of mine. A dishes' appeal is based on more than just taste, it also involves scent, looks, and texture. Check, check, and check. My house smelled amazing, I mean, really amazing as it was cooking and the texture was perfect- not too runny, not too thick. This even tastes good cold, as strange as that sounds. PaleoPot has five different versions of this butternut squash soup, using similar base ingredients. Head over there to check them out. I'm excited to try another take on this myself.

Ingredients:

1 large butternut squash, peeled, de-seeded, and cubed (should be around 6 cups)
2 cups coconut milk (or 1 can, if you buy it)
2 cups apple cider
2 apples, peeled, cored, cubed
1 carrot, peeled, chopped
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp nutmeg

Throw all of the above ingredients in a slow cooker and leave on low setting for about 6 hours. Then blend. Of course, I used my Vitamix (all of the soup fit in the container in one round, blend on high for about 1 minute, until completely smooth). If you do not have a Vitamix, then yes, you may want to wait for the veggies and apples to cool before you throw it in a regular blender; or there's always the option to use an immersion blender if you have one of those.

An advantage of using a Vitamix, though, is that I did not peel my apples. Not a big deal but one less step in preparation and I get just a few more nutrients out of the skins. I don't recommend this if you're not going to use a high speed blender like Vitamix, as it may throw off the texture of the soup if the apples are not completely pureed.

3 comments:

  1. This looks great! But is apple cider really paleo!?!? (im just starting out...)
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh gosh - i thought she meant apple cider vinegar....

      Going to be an interesting soup that I just made!

      Delete
  2. Hi! I'm Rebecca from MyNaturalFamily.com. I shared a link to your recipe on my post
    http://www.mynaturalfamily.com/recipes/paleo-recipes/paleo-side-dishes-recipes/
    I want to make sure it's ok with you that I did so. Please let me know if you want me to remove your image.

    I would love if you could share a little love by sharing the post on your social media accounts. After all, in the end it will help you get more traffic too.

    I am also open to other collaboration ideas so please let me know if you have ideas of how we can help grow each other’s blogs.

    Get More Traffic

    In case you're not already a member of our sister site, InspiringCooks.com I would like to invite you to join it.

    I was frustrated with how much work it is to submit to food submission sites so I created my own site kind of like Food Gawker. The main difference is that you don't have to submit each recipe. All you need to do is fill out this form - http://inspiringcooks.com/submit-recipes/ and we will add your recipe images for you with a link to your site (no recipe on our site). We will also promote your content by pinning both directly from your site and from our site.

    Bonus - when you join Inspiring Cooks, you can also request to be added to My Natural Family’s most popular group boards on Pinterest.

    Make More Money

    I make over six-figures on My Natural Family and I wrote a blog post all about how I do it. I think/hope there are some ideas in it that could help you make more money with your blog - http://www.mynaturalfamily.com/earn-six-figures-blog/

    ReplyDelete