Monday, October 1, 2012

Chinese Chicken & Broccoli (scd, paleo)


If you have ever read my blog before you know that I am a huge fan of Chinese food. I really enjoy making my own versions of dishes that are food allergy- friendly. This classic chicken and broccoli turned out beautifully, it tasted and smelled just like traditional Chinese take-out without the soy or MSG. I hope your family enjoys this as much as mine did.


1/4 cup sesame seed oil
2 Tbsp red wine vinegar
1/2 onion, thinly sliced
4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
1 tsp ground mustard seed or table mustard
3 or 4 cups frozen or fresh broccoli florets

2 large chicken breasts, cut into bite size pieces
1 tsp thyme
1 tsp white pepper
1 Tbsp salt
drizzle of honey
sesame seeds, to taste

Heat half of the sesame oil in a large frying pan and add red wine vinegar, onion, and garlic. Stir frequently until onions are translucent. Add the mustard and broccoli and 1 tablespoon of white pepper. Cover and stir occasionally until broccoli is tender-crisp. Remove all the broccoli mixture from the pan and set aside. In the same pan add the rest of the sesame oil and the chicken pieces, along with the pepper and thyme. Flip chicken pieces until cooked through. Drizzle a stream of honey over all the chicken, not much is needed. When the chicken is done, add the broccoli mixture back in and sprinkle with sesame seeds and salt. Ta-da, you're done. Eat with chopsticks for full ambiance.

*Note, I did not measure the amount of oil I used, but if at any time the veggies or chicken seem like they are cooking dry, be sure to add more oil to the pan. You don't want to lose moisture or taste just for not having enough oil. Also, if it does not taste soy-ey enough try adding more salt, since that's the main taste that soy sauce gives off.




4 comments:

  1. Made this tonight, minus the white pepper since I didn't have any. Forgot to buy it while I was out. This turned out great and I would definitely make it again. The garlic and onion flavor in the broccoli is just perfect. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks great! I am going to make it tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. About how many servings does this make? Im making it tonight for 4 people and just want to make sure I have enough :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would double just to be safe. Its very tasty so it goes quick ;)

      Delete