Monday, June 18, 2012

Moist Yogurt Chicken


Yogurt on chicken- yuck, right? That's what I thought initially. But yogurt on meat is actually quite traditional in some cultures, like Indian. So if you are kind of grossed out by this, just think of it as an ethnic dish, it was more reassuring me to, at least. And this actually turned out to be really good. So good even my non-scd husband was asking for more. That's when I know my efforts were truly worth-while. This recipe is even make-ahead-of-time ready. You can assemble the whole thing in the morning and then just stick the pan in the oven when you get home from work. I used a bed of brussels sprouts but you could use any frozen vegetable just fine. Or cook just the chicken. I would suggest actually making more of the yogurt topping, as it really adds so much to the chicken. Next time I think I will beat the chicken breasts a little flatter and fill more area space with the topping. I hope you enjoy this as much as me.

4 chicken breasts, bone in or out

1/2 cup grated parmesan or asiago cheese
1 cup dripped yogurt
1 tsp garlic powder
2 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
dash of cayenne pepper (omit if you prefer)

Mix all of the above ingredients in a small bowl. Spread chicken breasts over a bag of frozen vegetables in a baking dish and then spread the cheese/yogurt mixture over the chicken. Bake at 375 degrees for about 45 minutes, or until when poked, chicken breasts' juices run clear. Eat & enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. What is dripped yogurt?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Also known as Greek style (dripped) yogurt. It's exactly the same as regular yogurt, except it's set in a cheesecloth for a number of hours to create a thicker, more dense texture and flavor.

      Delete