Thursday, June 14, 2012

Figs with a Cashew Cream Sauce






There's  a fig tree in my backyard right now. And somehow without spraying, hanging tin pans, or posting a scarecrow the birds and squirrels have, to a relatively large degree, left the little tree alone. By consequence, there are so many figs I have no clue what to do with them. Figs, I have read, perish very quickly after being picked, and therefore are rarely sold in grocery stores or transported very far. This explains why the only recollection I have of the fruit was from when I was a kid and my mother's boss had a fig tree in their yard. I distinctly remember not liking figs. But hey, this diet has changed my tastebuds, so I thought why not give the little fruits another try. Plus it just seems like a sin to let a perfectly healthy and mature producing fruit tree be only take advantage of by wildlife. Hence, we come to this recipe. The cream sauce and the figs really complement one another, and so I say again, this one was a success.



At least 10 figs

Cream sauce:

1 cup raw cashews, soaked overnight, then drained
1 scant cup water
1/4 cup honey
1 Tbsp coconut oil
shake of sea salt

Toasted coconut flakes are optional.

Combine all of the cream sauce ingredients into a Vitamix. Blend on high for about 2 minutes or until smooth. Pour into desired bowl and top with sliced figs. Add toasted coconut flakes if desired.

That's it. A healthy, easy, raw treat.


1 comment: