Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Grain-Free Cereal (scd, paleo)


Forget Foldger's coffee, the best part of wakin' up used to be a nice bowl of crunchy cereal with ice cold milk poured all over it. I haven't had cereal in an entire year now. But for some reason it crossed my mind recently and I knew that I had to figure out a way to make it SCD. Now that I have coconut milk, what goes better? Like Salt and Pepper the two belong together. I have to admit, I impressed myself with this one:


Combination of nuts, amounting to about 2 cups, crushed slightly*
1/3 cup dried, unsweetened coconut flakes
1/4 cup raisins
2 Tbsp. honey
1 Tbsp. coconut oil
1 egg
1 Tbsp. cinnoman
1 small dash of nutmeg
1/8 tsp of vanilla extract
*1 tsp salt

I used walnuts, almonds, and cashews and used a hand chopper to break the nuts into smaller pieces. Mix all of the above ingredients together in a bowl with the nuts. Spread as thinly and evenly across a baking dish as possible.

Bake at 350 degrees for about 30 minutes, you will need to check it every 5 minutes to turn with a spatula to prevent burning, or I suppose you could bake it at a lower temperature for a longer period of time and larger turning intervals. The goal is to dry it out, not to burn it.

*Note: I am using raw nuts. I buy my nuts in bulk from Nuts.com and I get them raw and unsalted. Therefore if you have salted nuts or pre-roasted nuts then the salt can probably be omitted and the baking time may need to be reduced. Use discretion.




9 comments:

  1. This is nuts! Where do you come up with these great ideas? Also, where can you buy coconut flakes?

    Anyways, thanks for the great idea here. Trying this and the ketchup recipes this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, well this idea I have been dreaming up for quite some time. Cereal is a pre-SCD obsession of mine, you could say. I try to imitate what I used to eat, just in a healthier, SCD compliant way. I also buy my unsweetened coconut flakes from Nuts.com. I like their quality, they list all the ingredients (or lack thereof) on the website in plain sight, and their prices are reasonable.
      Hope your recipes turn out well- don't be afraid to tweak them to your liking! Thanks for reading!

      Delete
  2. I am making this right now and I am so excited!! I love cereal and have missed it dearly switching to a carb restricted diet. So far, it smells great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What other oil can I use besides coconut for this recipe? Olive?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sure olive oil would work. May leave an unusual flavor and does not stand up to heat as well as coconut. Try grapeseed oil as well.

      Delete
  4. Also, nuts should be soaked before, in order to help with digestion!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can you give details about soaking nuts? I have trouble digesting them.
      Thanks

      Delete
  5. Looks delish :) I bet butter would work instead of coconut oil too. May have to try this today!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey there superb website! Does running a blog such as this require a large amount of work?
    I have absolutely no knowledge of computer programming however I had been hoping to start my own
    blog in the near future. Anyways, should you have any
    ideas or tips for new blog owners please share. I understand this is off subject
    but I just had to ask. Thank you!

    Here is my web blog - Health Bound (healthbound.ca)

    ReplyDelete