Friday, October 14, 2011

SCD Banana Bread & Apple Pie

I'm still working on those 10 gallons of apples my grandparents bought me. That is a positive thing, as I haven't had to buy apples in a few weeks and that hasn't happened since I started SCD. In case you haven't noticed yet, the Specific Carbohydrate Diet is not cheap to be on. My grocery bills have over doubled to around $200 a week for just me and my husband. This is due to
chain reaction ending up with good-for-you foods being much more expensive than fast, artificial, boxed, wrapped, and packaged products. The purpose of this rant is to reason on why I prefer the use of coconut flour over almond flour. Almond flour serves it's purpose and does work well for breads and baked goods, etc. However, it's obvious that this being used as a substitute. Almond flour has a distinct taste- like almonds; and it has a texture that is slightly grainy. Also, when you use almond flour you have to use just as much, if not more, cups per recipe as you would with wheat flour. Coconut flour, on the other hand, does not have a strange texture, tastes slightly sweet, and uses only a fraction of the amount versus other flours because it is made from dried coconut and therefore absorbs liquids rapidly. So when making recipes coconut flour seems to be the more economical and tasty choice. Here is the link to where I get a lot of coconut flour recipes, and most of them are easy to convert to be SCD safe: Coconut Flour Recipes. I made the banana bread and it is delicious. Very moist and, having been deprived of chocolate for so long, and maybe this is just me, but this bread has a hint of chocolate chip taste- yum! Also have been making open faced apple pie (pie without a top crust). Here is the Coconut Pie Crust Recipe I use. The crust actually looks way better than the picture on that blog. For the filling I use:

6 cups (roughly) sliced and cooked apples
1 tablespoon cinnomon
1 teaspoon nutmeg
mix all together and pour into pie crust

optional topping:

1 1/2 cups unsweetened shredded coconut
2 tablespoons honey

Bake at 350 until coconut mixture caramelizes- watch carefully this happens very quickly!







(ps that is yogurt on top!)

No comments:

Post a Comment