Thursday, September 29, 2011

Lazy Daisy Cake Recipe Review & It's Apple Season!

So my grandparents from upper Michigan recently brought me ten gallons of their fresh, pesticide-free homegrown apples from their homestead rural property. Delicious. I don't know that I have a more favorite food than apples. So what to do with all of them?
Cook them of course! Making applesauce and pies, I'm going to be one happy homefry for at least the next month...or whenever these babies run out. I was also in a baking mood last week and made SCD Lazy Daisy Cake (from Mrs. Ed's recipes). I give it 9 out of 10 "yumms." The cake part was pretty plain tasting (like any other SCD almond flour bread) but the topping was divine! Toasting the coconut really makes the difference, creating a sticky, chewy texture that reminds me of caramel. I will definately make this again. I also substituted half the amount of yogurt for applesauce, as I don't like "wasting" my hard-worked for yogurt on a baked good.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for trying. I like the apple idea, it sounds tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for all your great recipes! I have found that applesauce can be substituted in almost any recipe instead of yogurt. It takes a lot less time to make than 24 hour yogurt too!

    ReplyDelete