Saturday, November 16, 2013

Cinnamon Coconut Paleo Protein Balls



I have a tendency to either be completely obsessed with something or entirely disinterested in it. This inherent viewpoint causes me to go through many phases in life. Right now I am on a pea protein powder kick. I posted on Facebook about this previously. I've been casually looking for an affordable protein powder that was Paleo friendly ever since I started CrossFit. I finally found this criteria in Now Food's Pea Protein Powder. It's 120 calories per scoop and 24g of protein. It's like eighteen bucks for two pounds and the only ingredient is peas. Some will argue weather or not peas are "Paleo" but I'm less than concerned about being perfectly Paleo since no one will truly know what Neanderthals ate. Peas grow in gardens, can be eaten raw, and don't cause any digestive distress for me, so I am going to eat them. Period.

I'm also on a counting macros kick. Keeping track of all of my calories, carbs, fats, and proteins as per my trainer's recommendation. Therefore, I wanted to make a Paleo friendly snack that is high in protein and low in calories and fat. I think I have succeeded.

Now, before you make this and comment "this tastes like dirt" let's remember, as stated above, this recipe is for those who are focusing on macros and want a protein treat - not an indulgent "Paleo" cake treat. The texture is cake-like and, yes, it is slightly sweet but the number one ingredient is peas so that does slightly influence the taste. I think these are great but I don't think kids would necessarily go for them. I've also trained my tastes to follow in accord with the logicality of eating something. Food is just fuel, right? That having been said, these are really not that bad. Just don't expect them to taste like my other dessert recipes.

Ingredients:

4 scoops pea protein powder
2 Tbsp coconut flour
2 whole eggs
3 egg whites
4 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 cup honey
1/2 cup shredded unsweetened coconut
1/2 Tbsp cinnamon
1 tsp allspice
dash of sea salt
1 cup water

Directions:

Mix well together the protein powder and coconut flour, breaking up any lumps. Add eggs, vanilla, honey, coconut, spices, and salt. Mix as well as possible. Then add water. Stir until smooth and well combined.

Form into one inch balls- you want there to be 12 even balls.

Place on well seasoned baking stone (or lightly oiled baking sheet) and bake at 350 degrees for 15-18 minutes.

Enjoy. Here is the nutritional breakdown:

One Ball is a Serving






Per Serving: 
Calories: 107 

Carbs:
8 Fat:  4 Protein:  10









No comments:

Post a Comment