Thursday, August 1, 2013

Simple Lamb with a Cherry Yogurt Sauce



How many times do we all peruse the butcher's counter at the grocery store thinking in our minds "I'm tired of that, that, and that...had that yesterday, blaaahh." Maybe it's just me, but I don't understand why we should have to eat cows and chickens almost exclusively every day. Perhaps it's a lack of creativity on my part, but those two animals are my go-to meal time protein sources. Well, my friends, not this week. I chose to venture out into the world of baah baah black sheep and select a cut of lamb shoulder blade chops. I have never been a fan of lamb, usually served with a side of mint jelly or sliced thinly into a gyro; however, in this experiment I found it to be true as usual that when I cook things myself they turn out better than when I pay someone else to prepare it for me. I hope this at least peaks your interest enough for you to try it.

Ingredients:

2 lamb shoulder blade chops (about 1.5 lbs)
2 Tbsp coconut oil
1/2 Tbsp marjoram
1/2 Tbsp dill

1/2 cup plain yogurt *
3/4 cup cherries, pureed

Directions:

Heat oil in frying pan over medium high heat. Season both sides of the lamb chops with marjoram and dill. When oil is hot add chops to pan. Cook until well browned on each side and internal temp reaches at least 145 degrees. It is okay if they are still a little pink inside, but use a meat thermometer if you are unsure. Please.

For the Sauce:
Puree pitted cherries in a food processor or Vitamix. Scrape out into yogurt and mix well.
Spoon the yogurt sauce over the lamb chops and enjoy.

*For a dairy-free, strict Paleo version, I suggest using coconut cream as an alternative to the yogurt. It will change the flavor of the sauce but I don't think you can really ever go wrong with coconut cream...

No comments:

Post a Comment