Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Glazed Curry Basil Pecans


On my trip to Oregon a few weeks ago I had the chance to visit wine country. A vineyard in Willamette Valley had some "Thai Basilnuts" that I tasted, with paleo-friendly ingredients. The flavors were surprising and refreshingly new. The spice from the curry was offset by the sweetness of the honey, and the crunch of the nuts made it the perfect snack. I brought this experience back home to my kitchen and translated that food into my own version.

Ingredients:

1/2 cup shredded coconut 
1 tsp yellow curry powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1 Tbsp basil
1/2 to 3/4 cup honey
2 heaping cups pecans

Directions:

In a small bowl mix all the dry ingredients together then add honey. Throw in nuts and mix to coat. Spread out the nuts on a baking sheet, trying not to have any overlap, and bake at 200 degrees for about 4 hours. Take them out of the oven and let cool completely. The honey/spice mixture will harden as they cool. I'm ashamed to admit how many of these I ate right after these pictures were taken.

2 comments:

  1. Do you use dried basil, or fresh?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used dried, you can use fresh. Whatever you prefer.

      Delete