Sunday, February 17, 2013

Coconut Flour Banana Bread (scd, paleo)



I feel guilty throwing food away. It's just wrong. We all have to do it, but imagine how much waste would be saved if we only could buy exactly how much we need to eat. This is nearly impossible, but I picture the world being a slightly better place if we could accomplish that. Anyways, this brings me to my nearly rotten banana conundrum. To save or to toss- that is the question. Bananas at the precipice of death are the best kind to bake into bread. Once they have spots the starches have broken down into monosaccharides and are not only easier for our bodies to digest, but also have a more defining flavor. So, this time, instead of feeding my trash can I decided to make some "primal" banana bread. I did a quick Google search and found this recipe at SparkRecipes. It appealed to me because it uses such a small amount of honey. This is honestly the best banana bread I have made since I started eating healthier, I dare say ever (since I can hardly remember what wheat-bread tastes like) but it may be close to the best banana bread ever.

Ingredients:

3 very ripe, mashed bananas
1/3 c butter, melted (or coconut oil)
6 eggs
2 tbsp honey
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 c coconut flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 tbsp cinnamon
1/3 c nuts or raisins or cacao nibs (optional)


Combine the mashed bananas and butter (or oil). Add the eggs, honey, and vanilla. Then add all of the dry ingredients. Mix well. Fold in nuts/raisins/cacao nibs if desired. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes if you are using a muffin pan or 45 minutes if using a loaf pan.

3 comments:

  1. Sounds yummy, and they look pretty too! We love banana bread around here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It really is delicious- I hope you try and like it!

      Delete
  2. I made this banana bread and loved it, I drizzle extra honey on them when I eat them though for added sweetness and moisture.

    ReplyDelete