Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Apple Poppy Seed Cake with Meringue



Meringue reminds me of fluffy clouds- sweet, fluffy clouds. That's my random thought of the day. Here is the source recipe from Paleolicioius. I must say, this cake is as tasty as it is beautiful.


Use a 9 x 13 Pan


for the cake base:
6 egg yolks
1 cup walnut flour (ground walnuts)
⅔ cup ground poppy seed (in coffee grinder)
1 tsp baking powder
1 tbsp honey

for the apple layer:
12 apples (small size, idared)
1 tsp cinnamon
juice of 1/4 lemon
1 tbsp honey

for the meringue layer:
6 egg whites
juice of 1/2 lemon
1 tbsp honey
¼ cup ground poppy seed
1 cup blueberries (optional)


Whip the egg yolks fluffy, then add the ground walnuts, poppy seeds, baking powder and honey and mix well.
Peel and grate the apples (or just thinly slice them) and place them in a heatproof pan, add the cinnamon and honey, and cook on medium-low heat.
Pour the batter into a nonstick pan (or lined with parchment paper), and place the apple mix on top, even out and bake in a preheated oven on 302°F for 20 min.
While the cake layer is in the oven, let’s do the meringue topping. Whip the egg whites with the lemon and honey until stiff, then add the ground poppy seeds. When the 20 min baking time is over, add the meringue on top of the apple layer and bake for further 15 minutes.

If you have a Kitchen Aid mixer or the like it's really a perfect opportunity to use it for making the meringue. Also of note, I only used about 1/3 cup poppy seeds, and the rest I subbed almond flour for (that's a lot of poppy seeds). I also did not grind them in a coffee grinder, they are already small enough for me to not complain about. I omitted the blueberries as well. Next time I think I will try adding them. Very delicious recipe, good warm or cold.

No comments:

Post a Comment