Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Pumpkin Banana Bars (flour-free, scd, paleo)



In case you haven't got the memo- it's pumpkin season. Forgive me for having so many pumpkin recipes so close to each other, but I cook with what I already have, and when you take the time to make your own pumpkin puree from a fresh pumpkin, you don't want to let any go to waste. Besides, who doesn't love pumpkin flavored dishes in the fall?


1 cup pumpkin puree (I used fresh, canned is acceptable)
1 cup nut butter (I used sunflower seed)
1 very ripe banana, mashed
1/3 cup honey + extra for drizzling on top
1 large egg
2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp allspice
dash of salt
1/2 tsp vanilla extract

cocoa nibs optional for sprinkling on top (note: not scd-legal)

Combine all of the ingredients together in a bowl. Pour into oiled baking dish and bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.

Note: I really expected these to come out more cake like than custard, but we don't always get what we want in life. I don't know if it's because these are flour-free, or if it's because both my sunflower seed butter and pumpkin puree were homemade, or because I added in a mushy banana, but the consistency, as you can see in the picture, did not hold together well when I tried to take them out of the pan. I don't really mind it. Even though I traditionally despise custard I love these. They taste great, but seeing as the name of my blog is Eat With Your Eyes I thought I should warn you these aren't as pretty out of the pan as you may expect. Nonetheless, they are worth trying.

1 comment:

  1. I like the valuable information you provide in your articles. I’ll bookmark your weblog and check again here frequently.
    I am quite sure I will learn many new stuff right here! Best of luck for the next..


    what is paleo

    ReplyDelete