Friday, October 26, 2012

No Fail Homemade Mayo



Literally has taken me 5 attempts at making homemade mayonnaise before I FINALLY figured out a way to success. Obviously everything I had tried before was wrong. Apparently even the smallest of things can mean the pass or fail of making your own mayo.

Need I list the reasons for doing so? Most of you are probably well aware, but the stuff that is sold in grocery stores is not even mayonnaise. Read the ingredients and tell me why hydrogenated soy is in what should be a 3 or 4 ingredient condiment. There's a host of non-essential additives in store mayo and it creates an entirely unhealthy staple that many people unfortunately turn to on almost a daily basis.

Since this is such an old-fashined recipe there is no need for anything fancy. All you need is an egg, a small lemon, dash of salt, and some oil.



1 egg yolk
pinch of salt
1 Tbsp lemon juice
3/4 cup oil (I use olive)

Read closely!

The egg yolk has to be room temperature. Either set the entire egg out ahead of time and let it reach room temperature, or separate the yolk into a bowl and then place that bowl in very warm water and let it warm up (do not let it get cooked, obviously).

Once the egg yolk is warmish add just a pinch of salt and the lemon juice. Whisk together continuously.

Add only 1 Tabespoon of the oil! Mix until that oil has completely disappeared. If the oil is not mixing well after about 10 to 15 seconds then your mayo is not going to emulsify. Before you waste anymore oil you might as well throw it out. However, this should not happen. Once the oil has disappeared add the rest of the oil ONE TBSP at a time.

Ta-da. It's done.

Here's what I was doing wrong (learn from my mistakes):

1. Using cold eggs
2. Not using any salt (which this is optional but the salt works for me)
3. Not adding oil only 1 Tbsp at a time, I tried to be fancy and do the "thin continuous stream" like all the YouTube videos and experienced chefs will tell you to do. I ended up trying to pour with one hand and whisk with the other and let's just say I am not so ambidextrous. Adding too much oil too fast will not allow your mayo to emulsify. Then your just left with a lot of waste.

No comments:

Post a Comment