Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Recipe Review: Vanilla Fig Bars


The original recipe is from Elana's Pantry. Although I do agree that these fig bars are delicious, there are definitely some differences. Besides the fact that I have absolutely no desire to climb a "14'er" mountain, I also have an overabundance of fresh figs, therefore I did not use dried. I also buy my almonds in bulk- whole and roasted, so I did not used blanched, slivered almonds. In any case, I think my fig bars are better because who knows what is in that "vanilla creme stevia" from Amazon. But then again, I am partial to myself. I have to warn you that my version turned out less like a bar that you can hold and take on a hike with you, and more like a thick dough-like substance. Because my figs were fresh I assume it made the batter more squishy. Tasty, nonetheless, but a bit bland for my taste. I did not use any honey in this recipe but I suggest that you do. The ingredients are too expensive to have a bland, nothing-snack, when all it really needs is some sweetener. You can make it however you like though, maybe even try adding other fruits in, perhaps some dates. The almond and vanilla mix wonderfully, and the smell after they are all blended together is heavenly.


2 cups almonds
1/2 cup unsweetened coconut shreds
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla extract
10 to 12 figs (about one cup)
2 Tbsp honey (optional- depends on how sweet you want it to be)

Put everything in Vitamix blender. Start on variable speed 1 and increase to 4, then push all the ingredients into the blades using the tamper until the consistency is as desired. Then just take a silicone spatula and scrape the mixture into a container.

Again, this really will not form into bars that do not fall apart very easily unless you use dried figs. I have also discovered this tastes well as a yogurt mix-in!

No comments:

Post a Comment