Wednesday, May 2, 2012

SCD- Legal Organic Hot Dogs (Applegate Farms)


I have known about these hot dogs for a while now, and let me tell you, few things have come to the rescue as many times as these yummy staples. In my opinion an SCD-er's worst nightmare is to have no meat thawed out for dinner, no beans pre-soaked, no trustworthy restaurants in town, and feel too sick to run to the store to buy thawed out meat and then take another hour to cook it- AND your starving all at the same time! Sadly, I think we all can say we've been there. Cheating just isn't an option, but it may not seem like there are many others. That is exactly why I always have at least one package of Applegate Farms Organic grass-fed beef hot dogs in my freezer. I wouldn't recommend them for beginners of SCD right away, since the less "processed" (a.k.a. handled by other people before you eat it) the better. But, I have never had any problems with these hot dogs and I would say I'm pretty sensitive. It's nice to be able to enjoy a good-ol' fashioned hot dog with mustard and a pickle every once in a while. And with summer around the corner, maybe smoke them over a bonfire? Ummm, warm and toasty!

The ingredients are as follows:


Organic Grass-fed Beef, Water. Contains Less Than 2% Of The Following: Sea Salt, Organic Paprika, Organic Dehydrated Onion, Organic Spices, Organic Nutmeg Oil, Celery Powder.



There are few companies, especially in the food industry, that are trustworthy. However, something about this company makes me believe what they say. Visit the website and let me know what you think.

I wish I could find a store near me that carries their deli meats and other products, there are some of those that seem to be SCD-legal as well. Life would be so much easier. But for now, I'll be grateful for these hot dogs.


5 comments:

  1. This is a great summer find - thanks! Curious if you make your own pickles or know of any scd legal ones?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have made my own pickles before but for the most hand I buy Nathan's Sour Pickles. It's the same Nathan's as the famous hot dog eating contest. The sour pickles are the only ones I could find that do not have natural flavors listed on the ingredients. If you choose to go with "natural flavors" then there are plenty of scd legal pickles. But I don't, so I eat the sour ones. They have a different taste, but are still pretty good.

      Delete
  2. This is an amazing find. Thank You so much, this will make my 4yr old girl so much happier! Just a little curious about the celery powder... I know this is an illegal ingredient but is it ok bc it is less than 2%?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Honestly, Amy, I am not sure about that. Every ingredient does count, but I have never given this one much thought. I have been eating these hot dogs for a while now and have never had any problems with them. I decided that the risk of maybe one of the tiniest ingredients having some form of possible starch or the like added was not enough to keep me away. That decision is of course up to you, but the likelihood of there actually being something in a part of the celery powder that is detectable is probably slim.

      Delete
  3. No grocery store near me carries the Applegate brand. Does anyone know how I can mail-order some Applegate hot dogs?

    ReplyDelete