Sunday, May 6, 2012

Mango Berry Summer Smoothie (scd, paleo, Vitamix)




I planted three fruit trees today- two apple and a peach. I am excited. I know they won't bear any fruit this year but they are already pretty big so I am hoping that next year they will get some buds. In any case, it's also 90 degrees outside with relatively high humidity, so when I came back into the house after digging holes in the ground I needed something to cool me off and boost my energy. This mango berry smoothie really hit the spot. Here's what you need:

1 ripe mango, skin on
1 medium apple, skin on
1/4 cup frozen dark cherries
1/4 cup frozen wild blueberries
1 cup baby spinach leaves
1/2 cucumber
1/4 cup water or coconut milk
2 or 3 cups ice

Throw all of the above into the Vitamix- with the exception of the pit of the mango and the core of the apple. Start on variable speed 1 then increase to 10, then turn on high for about 30 seconds. You will need the tamper to push everything into the blades at first.

Then just pour & enjoy...








2 comments:

  1. Is it safe to put the mango skin in the smoothie. never saw that before. thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I grew up with a Puerto Rican friend and her mom would always eat the mango skins! Organic, of course, are best, but just make sure they are clean!

      Delete