Saturday, April 14, 2012

Strawberry Poppyseed Coconut Cake (scd, paleo)



Nothing says summer is coming like fresh produce appearing in grocery stores across the country. Of course, there is always Chilean fruits, and I'm not discounting those products, but it really is best to eat what is in season for the climate you live in. When I saw strawberries on sale the other day I was so excited. Recently, I went back to my naturo-doctor. He told me that I could start eating raw fruits and vegetables! Yay! This may seem like a small thing, but to me this is huge. I have literally been waiting for this since I started SCD. I have explained that I previously tried to incorporate raw food into my diet but with no success, i would always end up sick and five steps back from where I was. Now that I can eat raw, my diet is vastly expanded. It took me a whole year, but it just goes to show how this diet is literally saving me from this disease. It's wonderful. Anyways, back to the strawberries- so then I had to come up with a creative new way to eat them. Now normally I don't mix fruits with other foods, I always eat them separately, but this new raw diet called for a mini celebration, so I decided upon making a cake. Here is the recipe:


3/4 cup coconut flour
1/4 cup olive oil
1/4 cup coconut oil
6 eggs
1/4 cup honey
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 Tablespoon apple cider vinegar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 Tablespoon poppy seeds
1 cup pureed strawberries*

*I used about 1/2 carton of fresh strawberries and threw them in my Vitamix on speed 5 for about 15 seconds, leaving them slightly chunky.

Mix all of the ingredients together, in order, stirring after the addition of each one. Grease a 9 x 13 baking dish and pour in the batter. Sprinkle a few poppy seeds and cinnamon over the top if desired. Bake at 350 degrees for about 20 minutes or until firm when gently pressed in the middle, or an inserted toothpick comes out clean.

I suggest topping with Vanilla Lemon Frosting

Warning: this turns out extremely moist. Do not be alarmed if you want to eat the whole cake in one sitting. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment