Sunday, March 25, 2012

Simple Crock-Pot Brisket (scd)






Cuts of meat with funny names make me avoid them, simply because I assume that their fancy name means they need to be prepared a fancy way. And thus was such with brisket. I really only knew any reference to it from The Big Bang Theory, in which one of the characters is Jewish and often refers to briskets. Come to find out, they taste pretty good and with this recipe are simple to make.

I try to keep my grocery bills as low as possible, which is hard to to on SCD. So I buy meats from the grocery store when they are on "Manager's Special" which basically means they are expiring the next day and it's a Hail Mary mark down to save the life of the meat. Which I do not mind at all, I can usually get really nice cuts for half price and I just stick them in my freezer until I figure out what to cook with them. This time I attempted to tackle this brisket. I looked all over the Internet, even giving some thought to making it into corned beef, but curing my own meat seemed like too big of a task. I really should be nicknamed the "lazy cook" because most of the time I don't even want to lift a knife. Too many other things to worry about. Anyways, so I found this recipe from Martha Stewart. Here is what I did:

Take:
1 Brisket (frozen or fresh)
Place in the slow cooker.

2 Cups chicken broth (or drippings from a baked chicken and 1 cup water)
Pour over brisket.

Cut 1/2 onion into chunks, or if you are feeling up to it, into slices
Throw on top of brisket

Peel 4 or 5 cloves of garlic
Throw onto brisket.

Sprinkle some black pepper over it all and put on low heat in the Crock-Pot for all day.

Perfect meal for when you are in a hurry, when you have to work all day, when your husband likes to eat red meat, when brisket is on sale...and the list goes on.

It turned out really tender and with some salt, tasted good. Yay, something easy and tasty on SCD, and I believe no matter what stage/phase you are in, you should be able to make this.



No comments:

Post a Comment