Sunday, March 18, 2012

Buttery Walnut Frozen Coconut Ice Milk (scd)




I don't know about where you live, but here in the midwest the temps are averaging about 20 degrees hotter than normal. That means the ice cream shops are opening early and summer is around the corner!

So many of my recipes turn out with the intent for one thing and end up another. So it is with this one. I wanted to make SCD ice cream, but since I do not have an ice cream maker, and contrary to what a few sites have said, this ended up more as an ice milk. No complaints though, I literally made this one night and finished it less than 24 hours later. It was good.

So here is what you need:

3 cups coconut milk
1/2 cup honey
3 egg yolks
1 Tbsp vanilla extract
1 Tbsp butter
Walnuts (optional)

Don't be intimidated like I was, this is really easy.

Take your coconut milk, honey, egg yolks, and vanilla and heat on a stovetop at medium heat for 10 to 12 minutes. You do not want this to boil, this is not egg drop soup. Stir frequently, as you do not want any egg chunks to be left in it. Take off the heat once the back of a spoon is easily coated with the mixture. Then add your butter and stir it around until it melts. Pour this into a freezer safe container. I used a shallow dish because I wanted it to freeze faster and more evenly.

Then chop up your nuts, or whatever other ingredients you want, and sprinkle those over the top. I also took a knife and lightly drizzled some honey over the top.

Then just stick this in the freezer, in about 5 hours you will have ice milk!

I stirred the mixture every 1/2 hour when I could, as the sides freeze much faster than the middle, and to try to smooth it out. This is definitely not as efficient as an ice cream maker, which I imagine if you put this into a machine it would come out with a creamy texture versus and icy one. Either way, it's tasty.

No comments:

Post a Comment