Saturday, February 4, 2012

Savory Black Beans



I originally had this recipe in mind to make SCD legal crepes along with it and use the crepe as a tortilla, but it was only after I had made both parts to the recipe that I remembered this diet my doctor has me on doesn't allow me to have eggs at the same time as beans. I would use the crepes for fruit, but I am not supposed to mix those two either. Any ideas? Anyways, these black beans are good enough on their own to just be eaten plain. All the veggies in the mix don't hurt by any means either. Very healthy dinner and for once an hour after eating I was not hungry. This is a very filling meal. So here is what you do:

Take:
1/2 bag black beans (dried) and soak overnight.
Cook until done (about and hour or two)
Set aside.

Take:
1/2 onion, chopped
1/2 red bell pepper, chopped
1/2 yellow bell pepper, chopped
3 jalepeno peppers, chopped
1 Serrano pepper, chopped
3 cloved garlic, chopped or pressed

Saute until onions are translucent. Add the cooked black beans and their juice and 1/2 cup dry wine. Add some cumin, oregano, and black pepper (about 1 tsp each). Lightly simmer covered for about 20 minutes.

Add some shredded cheese (I use monterey jack) and some dripped yogurt as "sour cream." If it is not spicy enough add a dash of hot sauce or some more jalepenos.

Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment