Friday, January 27, 2012

SCD Egg Drop Soup: The Ultimate Chinese Comfort Food



It's a Friday night. In my pre-SCD life this day would be a date night for my husband and I composed of picking a local eatery and enjoying the free-ness of having someone else cook for you, serve you, and not worry about any potential non-existent consequences. Alas, that is the past and I no longer enjoy that freedom. I don't deny it for my husband though, so when he ordered some take-out chicken wings smothered in BBQ sauce, I wanted a reminiscent treat too. My mind began to turn- what did I have in my refrigerator? Yesterday I made slow-cooker chicken thighs, I had eggs,...wait! Suddenly I remembered those nights when I used to work late and have to eat dinner at 9pm, I would always make egg drop soup on the fly. All it consisted of was boxed rang-free chicken broth and eggs. Those are potentially SCD legal ingredients! So I grabbed my leftover chicken still in the crock-pot and scooped out all of the gelatin-ized  juices. There was only about 2 cups but that is enough for one bowl. Perfect. I then heated up this goop and strained out all the icky chicken parts. Then all that is left to do is bring to a boil, scramble an egg or two and toss it in! Yay! Homemade Chinese food without the bad-tummy feeling. No corn syrup either! So here is the recap:



2 cups chicken stock (homemade)

Bring to a boil

1 or 2 Eggs (depending on how eggy you like your egg drop soup)

Scramble in a separate bowl like you're making breakfast. Then slowly drizzle the eggs into the boiling broth, as soon as the egg hits the liquid take a chop stick (or the like) and wave it back and forth to create ribbons out of the egg.




Voila. that's it. I added a little garlic powder (1/2 tsp), and white pepper (1/2 tsp), and of course salt (1/2 Tbsp)



Make sure you add enough salt, that is what gives egg drop soup it's distinctive flavor.

4 comments:

  1. I love egg drop soup! I am going to try this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Let me know how it turns out for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You can also crack the egg in boiling chicken stock and stir it in one direction to get the thin pieces of eggs like in a restaraunt :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh and I'm going to try this. I just happen to have some home made chicken broth that I froze a while back! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete