Sunday, October 30, 2011

Chewy Raisin Almond Butter Cookies - Recipe Review



You ever get that craving for something sweet? Of course you do- you're reading a food blog! Since you are familiar with that feeling you know there is absolutely nothing that you can substitute for that sweet desire. I begin my web surfing to find an SCD/paleo- compliant delicious cookie recipe. So here it is: "Chocolate Chip" Cookies from Heal~Balance~Live.
I did make some revisions (obviously chocolate is not SCD legal) so here is what I did:

Ingredients:
3/4 cup almond flour
1/4 cup coconut flour
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/3 cup almond butter
1 egg
2 tsp. vanilla
3 Tablespoon oil or butter
1/2 cup honey
1 cup raisins

Directions:

Combine all ingredients in a medium size bowl. Bake at 350 degrees for about 6 to 7 minutes, depending on the size of your cookies.


(it only makes about 7 cookies, but it's so worth it)


I wonder where the missing one went...
I've given my reasons for choosing coconut flour over almond flour. For this recipe it is lovely because it saves on expensive almond flour. Also, the cookies don't have that strange almond flour texture. The almond butter is a nice touch. For some reason every time I make cookies with a nut butter they do not hold together after baking like normal cookies do. They seem to crumble too easily after coming off of the pan (any ideas as to why?) so after baking and letting them cool i put these into the freezer. Then later I felt like a snack, so I took one out and didn't want to wait for it to thaw. To my surprise there is no need to! These cookies are even better frozen! Trust me on this one, you want to make this recipe.


9 comments:

  1. These are AMAZING! I tried them last night, and ate almost half of the batch in one sitting. I didn't have almond butter so I substituted cashew butter, and added a little fresh ground nutmeg. They are everything you want a raisin cookie to be. THANK YOU for this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. YUMMMY! Do we need to push the cookies down before we put them in the oven?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. Whenever you cook with non-wheat flours, never just roll cookies into balls and expect them to flatten, unfortunately they do not. The shape they are put into the oven as generally is how they stay.

      Delete
    2. Thank you very much for your info.

      Delete
  3. Do you think I could sub applesauce for the honey?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you could do 1/2 applesauce and 1/2 honey but not a 100% substitution just because the honey also acts as a binder, keeping the ingredients together and applesauce does not have the same effect.

      Delete
    2. Best paleo cookie so far. I have tried many cookie recipes and this is my family's favorite. I used all applesauce, my son can't have honey, and they turned out great. They are soft and stay together nicely. I used dried and chopped up prunes instead of raisins. Thanks for this great recipe.

      Delete
  4. I'm thinking this is a US site as almond fl is way cheaper in Australia than Coconut fl. Would this still work with just almond fl.
    BTW,I am hooked to this site, being a newby, and last night I tried your Cauliflower/Cashew curry:-) even the carnivore of the house loved it..yeahhh.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I cant eat coconut, but am wanting some sort of sweet to eat other than the crap candy I used to eat. What can I use to substitute the coconut flour? Your site is amazing!!

    ReplyDelete