Thursday, June 30, 2016

Paleo Portabello Pizza



Here goes nothing. Blogging after radio silence for what has been years.

But I still get emails, views, and requests for recipes. Occasionally I make something that looks fantastic and think to myself "I should publish this" but then that thought fades, as I am not sure if you are aware but blogging is a lot of work...

Recently I went to a local farmer's market and was ecstatic to find a Paleo company selling homemade bone broths, spice rubs, and assorted nut butters amongst cuts of grass-fed meat. These guys are from right here in the Florida panhandle and it made me proud to be a part of the Paleo community. 

The past few years I've been losing my connection to this integral part of who I am, that which is the Paleo followers I have and the other blogs that I myself am a fan of. So, here's my shot at stepping foot back into that realm.

Now that I've gotten that little rant out of me here is what I cooked up this week.

Portabello mushrooms are super versatile. I like to use them as a meat and sometimes bread substitute. Basically they make great carrying vessels for other various types of food to be shoved into our mouths. 

Let me also add, that I am not the biggest fan of the flavor and/or texture of mushrooms, so eating this as a base of the pizza may turn some of you off. Trust me or not, the mushroom flavor is really overpowered by the cheese and sauce and other toppings, I promise if you are craving pizza and you eat a slice of this faux one you will only be like 20% let down, which is not that bad when you think about it. ;)

Here's what you need for these dough-less pizzas.

Ingredients:

2 Large (preferably wider rather than thicker) Portabello mushroom caps
1 cup tomato sauce (or just canned chunk tomatoes)
1 cup shredded cheese (cheddar or whatever you like)
1/2 package of pepperoni (I like Applegate farms Turkey Pepperoni)
whatever else you like on your pizza....

Directions:

1.Use a spoon to take out the little center stem and scrape out the gills of the mushroom cap. Lay caps face up.
2. Rinse off that spoon and scoop tomato sauce into the caps, making little red sauce pools.
3. Sprinkle some cheese, layer on the pepperoni, and whatever else ya got.
4. Bake at 350 degrees for about 20 minutes, depending on the thickness of your mushrooms, just until they are not firm anymore.
5. Enjoy

It's reallllllly easy and pretty fast to prepare.



2 comments: