Monday, May 5, 2014

Guest Post: Plaid and Paleo ~ Spicy Mustard Chicken


A year after going Paleo, Vanessa started the blog Plaid and Paleo to simply stay accountable to eating healthy. It has grown into a full blown passion, where Vanessa posts new recipes multiple times a week. She is a lover of all things food especially unique combinations and anything ethnic. When she isn’t in the kitchen, you can find Vanessa reading a book, cheering on the KU Jayhawks or talking about how she should probably be at a yoga class. 


Hey Salted Paleo readers! I’m excited to be blogging here today. When Jadah asked me to share a recipe, I was thrilled to contribute.
 

When I first went Paleo, I lived alone, which didn’t make cooking an extravagant meal very enticing. After scrolling through Pinterest for the millionth time, I came across a recipe cooking chicken breast in a crockpot. I’m not sure why I’d never thought of this! Now it is my go-to method to cook chicken.

The chicken always comes out moist and flavorful with very little effort!

This spicy mustard chicken is a reader-favorite on my blog. I wanted to update it a little for Salted Paleo. I used to live in California where you can find red jalapeños everywhere. After moving back to the Midwest, I discovered finding red jalapeños became a game I wasn’t going to win. I wanted to see how green jalapeños impacted the recipe. To my pleasant surprise the biggest difference was the sauce color! So if you are having trouble finding red jalapeños, green are a great alternative! I also cut the chili garlic sauce recipe in half so I wouldn’t have so much leftover, but I love having it in my fridge to quickly add spice to any dish.

Ingredients
2 chicken breasts
1 tbls olive oil
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp sea salt

1/4 tsp pepper
1/3 cup chicken broth
2 tbls honey
1 1/2 tbls dijon mustard
1 1/2 tbls stone ground mustard
1/2 tbls paleo chili garlic sauce (here for recipe)

Directions

Mix all ingredients except chicken in a small bowl. Place chicken in the bottom of the crockpot and pour sauce over it. Cook on low for 3 hours. Remove chicken and pour sauce into small sauce pot. Heat sauce over medium to a simmer for 10 minutes. Serve chicken with sauce on top.

Enjoy!
!
x Vanessa 





No comments:

Post a Comment