Monday, August 1, 2011

3 SCD Safe Recipe Reviews

Yesterday I was in a baking mood. It's like 100 degrees outside and I wanted to turn my gas stove on for a couple of hours. Call me crazy. So I did some Googling for SCD cookies and such and here is what I found and decided to go with:

1. Specific Carbohydrate Diet Friendly Lemon Bars
 (thanks to Comfy Tummy)
9 out of 10 "yums"
These were really delicious! They tasted like "real" lemon bars, I cannot tell that they are diet friendly. The notes I have on them are to butter the pan before pressing the crust down instead of trying to sprinkle almond flour. Almond flour is expensive and does not have the same texture as wheat flour so it doesn't spread like it. Just use butter. Also make sure your butter for the filling is fully melted. I tried to cheat and only soften it and it did not blend well. My fault. Also I would double the amount of filling for the bars. They are very thin, which is perfect for a little snack, but I just prefer thicker bars of any kind of dessert. Personal preference. Despite the tweaks I will be making these again! Delicious!

2. Lauren's SCD Peanut Butter Cookies
(thanks to Heal~Balance~Live)
5 out of 10 "yums"
I was disappointed in these. This would be a good recipe for someone who perhaps cannot have eggs or dairy; but if you can tolerate these things I don't understand why there is no egg in this cookie recipe. The dough does not stick together well even after baking. It was like trying to put a sand castle on a spatula. I ended up baking these for 3 times as long as the recipe states and this helped a small amount but for me, it just didn't work. The flavor was mediocre, on the bland side. I say double the honey if you want a treat.

3. Almond Flour Biscuits
(thanks to Nicole's Special Diet Creations)
10 out of 10 "yums"
MAKE THESE AS SOON AS YOU CAN. Amazingly scrumptious. I love these. These will be my go-to recipe for anytime I need biscuits, buns, sandwich bread, anything that a loaf of bread would be useful for. The texture is great, the flavor is good, and the recipe was easy to put together and bake. Perfect!

2 comments:

  1. i can not open the link for the almond flour biscuits. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please post the almond flour biscuit recipe, the link doesn't work!

    ReplyDelete