Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Cauliflower Breadsticks (grain-free, paleo, scd)





My blog used to be called Eat With Your Eyes. If ever there was a reason to do so, take a look at the pictures of these cauliflower "bread"-sticks. While they don't necessarily exactly perfect duplicating their gluten-filled counterparts, these do make for a tasty treat!

Recipe:

1 Head of cauliflower
1 Tbsp basil and/or oregano
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp white pepper
2 Eggs
Salt, to taste
Sharp cheddar or Parmesan cheese (optional)

Boil the florets and stems of cauliflower until well cooked. Transfer to Vitamix (or food processor) and blend until smooth. Let cool.
Add spices and eggs. Mix very well.
Grease a baking sheet or stone or use parchment paper. Pat down cauliflower mixture until about 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick, try to get as even as possible. If you want to add cheese, sprinkle over the top of the "crust".
Bake at 350 degrees for about 20 minutes. Then increase to broil for about 10 minutes, or until edges and cheese lightly brown. If you would like even crispness take out of the oven and cut into slices, then flip over and brown the other side.

Enjoy!




12 comments:

  1. These look really delicious! I'm a little embarrassed to say that I don't ever eat cauliflower, but this might be the recipe that gets me to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Curious but don't you squeeze the water out of the cauliflower before processing and mixing with the eggs and spices? Every other recipe I have seen or tried the water had to be removed from the cauliflower or the mixture would be very runny.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have never had a problem with that in this recipe. If you try squeezing the water out first let me know how that turns out!

      Delete
  3. This is amazing! thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think the spice proportions are a bit off, because that much white pepper made it EXTREMELY spicy. I couldn't eat it, and I like spice. Only my husband could tolerate that much. It also didn't crisp at all. It was extremely mushy, even though I spread it thin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sarah, I'm sorry you thought it was too spicy. White pepper can be pretty strong, but without spices this is an extremely bland recipe. I'm not sure why yours turned out mushy- it's definitely not going to be crispy like bread or kale chips, but it should be solid enough for a small piece to hold together. Thanks for trying it though!

      Delete
    2. Mine also was mushy and way too spicy. I think next time I would do 1/2 tsp of white pepper instead of 1/2 tbsp. And added a whole lot of parmesan because I licked my finger before I baked it and realized how spicy it was. It still was at the limits of what I could eat and I had to drink a LOT of water with it. I will definitely try it again though with less pepper. I'm also thinking I might add another egg or some ground flax to try to thicken it. The idea in general is awesome. Just need to tweak it for my and my family's taste.

      Delete
  5. We tried this recipe and it was delicious. Should we prepare it on a pizza stone to get it crispier on both sides?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ours turned out really mushy! We followed the recipe exactly. I let it bake a tad longer hoping it would crisp up more. I didn't expect the same consistency, but it was no different than when I do mashed cauliflower. I appreciate you taking the time to post this though.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mine was pretty mushy too... I flipped it onto a baking rack and left it the oven for longer but it was still really fragile. Not to worry, shall tinker with it - love the basic concept so shall persevere!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Has anyone tried it in a Thermomix and used the raw cauliflower. That may reduce the amount of liquid and may stiffen up the end product. Just wondering.

    ReplyDelete