Thursday, January 5, 2012

Chicago Style SCD Pizza



What makes it Chicago style? The cheese is on the bottom, of course- toppings on, well, top!
This is my adaptation of Deep Dish Pizza from Comfy Belly. I will be making this recipe on a regular basis, this is one of my new favorites. Nothing replaces the taste of warm, melty cheese on a crust with rich tomatoes to top it off! The original recipe noted that you could use shredded cheese as a moisture barrier between the crust and the toppings, but i used both slices and shredded cheese and I think the slices provided a much more consistent texture and served a better purpose. Here's how it goes:

For the crust- this is "deep dish" compared to other SCD pizza recipes with a very thin, edgless crust so use a pie pan:

1 and 1/2 Cups Almond Flour
1/2 Cup Shredded Parmesan or Romano cheese
Sprinkle of basil or oregano
1 Tablespoon olive oil
1 Egg

4 slices of any white cheese (I used Monterey Jack)

Mix all ingredients together, mashing the cheese, so that it forms a consistency that seems like it will stick enough to form into the pie pan. Then place the cheese slices across the bottom of the crust to form a "barrier"-like setting so that the veggies and such don't make the crust soggy. Bake for about 8 minutes, until the cheese just starts to bubble.

Use any combo of veggies (and/or meats) you wish, I used:

Artichoke Hearts, halved
Sliced Tomato
Sliced Black Olives
Sliced Mushrooms

Put the veggies on an oven safe plate and bake at about 400 degrees for around 8 minutes, enough to get their "juices" to come out, so they are holding less water.

Add the veggies to the crust/cheese pie and I added some dollops of SCD-legal tomato sauce on top as well.

Bake at 400 for another 8 to 10 minutes, until everything is nice- warm & melty. Then use a pizza slicer (I had to dig mine out of the back of my drawer, I hadn't used it in so long!) and dig in!

Delicious!!












No comments:

Post a Comment